Dementia Care Cheltenham
Here at Dementia Doulas Ltd, we provide respite care services to clients with Dementia, with the aim to support the whole family. We are very different from traditional carers as we are not a care agency. Instead, our mission is to provide friendship, stimulation and safety for our clients to ensure they have the best possible quality of life while living at home. We give the family the opportunity to rest and recharge while knowing and trusting their loved one is safe and happy with our Doula. For Dementia care in Cheltenham, Tewkesbury, Stroud, Bishop’s Cleeve and the surrounding areas, get in touch with us today.
Founder Mary Merheim was nominated for Best Newcomer at Care and Support West Awards 2020.
24 Hour Support
“Care of the vulnerable” is a keyworker role that will continue throughout this crisis.
Dementia Doulas Ltd understands your anxieties at this time. We work with you to find exactly the type of care you are comfortable with. Because our Doulas do not have multiple clients you can rest assured that we will keep transmission possibilities to a minimum. If you wish we have masks with Perspex windows, gloves, aprons and can even bring changes of clothes with us. If you prefer a more relaxed approach we can work with you to achieve this through detailed risk assessments.
We help you and your loved ones live your best lives and constantly monitor governmental and local guidelines. We aim to keep our clients at home for as long as possible if that is your wish.
Because of the fear of infection and local ‘lockdowns’ preventing you from visiting your loved one in a Care Home, we have also created a new service for our most vulnerable clients:
Alongside our usual ‘one Doula per family’ service, we also are able to offer up to 24 hour care contracts to keep your loved ones out of Care Homes for even longer/forever. We work around any Care Package that may be in place and provide you with the confidence that your relative is looked after on a 1:1 basis constantly. Within this service we keep the team as small as possible for consistency and safety.
When is it appropriate to use Dementia Doulas Ltd?
- When a loved one needs additional support with their daily activities, for example: cooking/preparing food, making and receiving phone calls, shopping/using money, visiting friends, going for a walk or decision making.
- When a spouse has died or gone into hospital/care. Memory problems, loneliness and confusion surface when a companion is no longer there 24 hours a day. Some people need our support to get through the days, to keep in touch with family and friends and to face the future in the short or long term.
- When a family care giver needs a break. Everyone deserves a break from time to time. If you are looking after someone with Dementia, this is even more necessary to ensure you don’t lose yourself. This can be anything from a few, regular hours a week to trips away to be with other family or even to escape alone! To have hours/days to look forward to is so important.
- After a medical episode. After any spell in hospital it is often tricky to re-establish a home routine. We can provide 24 hour care initially then decrease our hours if it becomes appropriate. Sometimes discharge from hospital or care home is entirely dependent on there being full time support in the home.
- At the end of life. For some of our Doulas, their expertise and passion is in supporting the family in the final weeks, days or hours of a loved one’s life. We can provide practical help with maintaining a vigil or running errands as well as giving mindful, emotional support. The experience of having a Doula can make this difficult time a lot less traumatic for all involved and even become a beautiful, peaceful passing.
What our customers are saying
Contact Dementia Doulas Ltd
If you need Dementia care in Cheltenham and Gloucestershire, give us a call today to discuss your requirements with the team.